My Music (Listen with quality headphones)

Tuesday 29 January 2013

My suggestions for LMMS features/improvements

I've been using LMMS (v0.4.13) on Ubuntu (v12.04 64-bit) for a while so I thought I'd keep track of features and bugfixes I'd like to see in future releases. Here's LMMS' Roadmap page (I'm too lazy to sign up and edit it). Here's the LMMS Bug Tracker.

Note: This list will be ongoing--I'll add to it as I use LMMS more and more.


Song-Editor

* [FEATURE 1] Select a track and be able to shift all notes up or down X number of octaves

* [FEATURE 2] Delete multiple bars/segments in one action

* [FEATURE 3] Copy multiple bars/segments in one action

* [FEATURE 4] Right click on a bar in Song Editor and export to wav (or FLAC)

* [FEATURE 5] Export every bar in a Song Editor track to wav (or FLAC)

* [FEATURE 6] Double click on a bar in Song Editor opens Piano Roll, but it would help if that bar was somehow highlighted so I can remember which bar I edited after I'm done in Piano Roll (especially when I have lots of bars--it's easy to lose track of where I was)

* [FEATURE 7] "mouseover" on a bar containing a name and the name shows immediately in a yellow or white tooltiptext. Give users a configuration option to enable/disable the feature


Piano Roll

* [BUG 1] When I double click a bar, then move my cursor down to the piano roll, sometimes it's in Select Mode (the cursor is also a Select Mode cursor) even though Draw Mode is shown as selected in the piano roll menu. UPDATE 20130130: a workaround for this is to do shift+s then shift+d so you don't have to go up to the menu to click the Draw Mode button. This bug may be related to this bug or this bug.

* [BUG 2 (?)] Export to wav adds silence at the end of the export file. I want the export file to cut off precisely at the end of the last bar. Seems to be identical to this bug. (UPDATE 20130131: This seems to have been fixed in the stable branch!:
"Yes, the idea was to not cut reverbs, delays etc. There has been a commit
in master branch already which adds an option for exporting the project as
loop. I just backported this commit to the stable branch
(59732b05ed9641a85bfeba19531f78d7967dcee8). Have a lot of fun with it!"

)

* [FEATURE 1] Have a dedicated key to pause playback at the current position. Currently, spacebar (play/pause) sets the position to 0 (back to start). (UPDATE 20130326)


Compiling development version of LMMS on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit

* [BUG 1] I've installed all the dependencies, but when I run make I get the following error:
/usr/bin/ld: Relocatable linking with relocations from format elf64-x86-64 (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/wine/libwinecrt0.a(exe_entry.o)) to format elf32-i386 (RemoteVstPlugin.QR4Yyn.o) is not supported
winebuild: /usr/bin/ld failed with status 1
winegcc: winebuild failed
make[2]: *** [plugins/vst_base/RemoteVstPlugin] Error 2
make[1]: *** [plugins/vst_base/CMakeFiles/vstbase.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
Linking CXX shared module libtripleoscillator.so
[ 34%] Built target tripleoscillator
make: *** [all] Error 2


to get past that error i removed "-m32" in the following files:
plugins/vst_base/CMakeFiles/vstbase.dir/build.make
build/plugins/vst_base/CMakeFiles/vstbase.dir/build.make

then i ran make again and got the following error:
In file included from /usr/include/slv2/world.h:26:0,
                 from /home/me/Downloads/lmms/include/lv2_manager.h:33,
                 from /home/me/Downloads/lmms/src/core/lv2_manager.cpp:35:
/usr/include/librdf.h:31:21: fatal error: raptor2.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/lmms.dir/src/core/lv2_manager.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/lmms.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2


UPDATE 20130205: How to install LMMS 0.4.14-rc1 with VST support on Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin)

No comments:

Post a Comment

My content is under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license. I work hard to publish relevant and useful information in order to help people learn difficult things and find solutions to their problems, so please attribute me if you reuse my content elsewhere.