My Music (Listen with quality headphones)

Sunday 28 July 2013

How to get VLC to play mid/midi files using an SF2 soundfont in Ubuntu Linux 13.04

First, install the fluidsynth plugin for vlc:
sudo apt-get install vlc-plugin-fluidsynth

Close any vlc windows you have open, then open vlc again.
Tools > Preferences
(or just ctrl+p)

In the preferences window choose "All" for "Show Settings" at the bottom left.






Then navigate in the list on the left to:
Input / Codecs > Audio codecs > Fluidsynth

Then click the Browse button for "Sound fonts" and choose your soundfont file.

Save then restart vlc and play a midi file.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My content is under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license. I work hard to publish relevant and useful information in order to help people learn difficult things and find solutions to their problems, so please attribute me if you reuse my content elsewhere.